Question
Posted by: Shafiq Bailey | 2012-05-10

Tap water contains black dirt particles

My kitchen sink mixer was recently (28/04) replaced by a plumber and he flushed the pipes for more than half an hour, emptying my geyser in the process. Since then I''ve discovered hundreds of black dirt particles in my bath water, and also discovered it when I poured a glass of water in the kitchen. When you keep the tap open for a 5 or 10 seconds, it seems to clear up, but I have to do this EVERY time. I have kids who could drink this so I''m concerned. Do I get the plumber back but how to trace the problem?
Much obliged!

Expert ImageEnviroHealth expert

It's not unusual to find particles in your tap water after a plumber's been working on the system. These black particles could come from the black rubber fixtures in the system, like some geyser connections, washers etc. Or, they could be from rusting metal from inside the pipes. Either way, they are not a serious health hazard but you don't want to have to put up with them in the long term. You should soon stop seeing them in your water; if not, you'll have to get the issue seen to. Meanwhile, give your plumber a call and ask him what he thinks the cause might be.

Do you find the particles when you fill a glass from the cold tap? (Remember that for drinking and cooking, it's always better to use the cold tap.)

3
Posted by: sandy | 2015-10-12

I live in an apartment building It has black dirt in it since February of this year. no one has done plumbing. But in all my faucets it comes out of. I've told the landlord but all I got was this little tiny filter which is help a little. But everything is turning colors tub, sink and clothes.I dont kno wat 2 do cuz if u shower its on ya ur hair everything. Please someone help. I pay rent every month and nothing gets done. I have 2 go out and buy water there is 3 of us that live here and 4 animals. I have a low immune system. So please some1 help me. I don't know wat 2 do.

Reply to sandy
Posted by: Jose | 2012-07-08

I don''t really like to qubbile all the time, honest, although it seems most of the time I have anything to say it is a qubbile....I''ve had to make three claims on my POV& mdash  one my fault, two not. (car was broken into)Grand total paperwork was a half-hour on the phone, most of that with the police department, and faxing in a copy of the police report. In one case, the mall did it for me.In the one that was over my insurance deductible, they mailed me a voucher for Best Buy to buy a new stereo and have it installed, as the wheel that was stolen was valued at the same as my deductible.

Reply to Jose
Posted by: EnviroHealth Expert | 2012-05-10

Reply to EnviroHealth Expert