Question
Posted by: Sun worshipper | 2008/09/01

Tanning

Hi Doctor

I have always enjoyed tanning and now that I am in my fifties suffer the consequences with pigmentation marks on my arms. I still like looking tanned, but am wary of lying in the sun. Is there any product I can use which will not also darken the " freckles"  on my skin which is what happened when I applied artificial tanning products?!

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hello Sun Worshipper, thank you for the question.

The only suggestion I have is to consider spray on tans. This should not darken the freckles and the pigmentation marks that have developed from previous sun damage. Your best option would be to avoid the sun as much as possible, mostly due to the increased chance of developing skin cancer and the increased ageing of the skin. Please remember to use a SPF 30 or higher that contains zinc oxide and/or titanium dioxide.