Question
Posted by: Ron | 2009-07-07

Tang ingredients

Hi Vanessa,

You know the Tang sachets of powder that u mix with water?
I have a feeling that the stuff is bad for you.
I don' t know much about ingredients but a couple of these don' t sound too good......
aspartame, Acesulfame K, maltodextrin, phenylalanine...

should i be avoiding this stuff?

Expert ImageSports Nutrition

Hi Ron

Good thinking – great question!

There is much written about sweeteners and there are those who are against it and those for it! Most sugar free products contain aspartame as it has been around forever – even the Coke company uses it and you know how big and powerful they are – makes one think? See their website on it. I personally try and limit the use thereof and try and purchase products with sucralose – a new generation sweetener. However, if I don’t have a choice I will still rather drink coke light than have a sugar laden drink. Thus to answer your question about Tang – yes, it contains aspartame – I use it to mix my supplements in (keeps the calories low as there is not much else to choose from), however, I mix it to double the water called for.
I have looked at the science behind acesulfame K and sucralose – very convincing safety data!
No need to worry about maltodextrin – just note that you get different types – some contain the same amount of calories as sugar (used in sports drinks) while others contain as little as 1calorie per gram (used in calorie reduced products or where a product needs to be bulked up).
Phenylalanine is an amino acid to which people with a certain disease are allergic to, thus no need to worry about that!

Have great day!
Vanessa