Posted by: Col | 2009-10-07

Tampons used at night...

Hi Doc - my 15 year-old Goddaughter uses tampons at night (8 hours+) and we would please like to know whether this is safe bearing in mind the ' poisoning'  you can get from leaving tampons in for too long (sorry, I can' t remember the name of the condition off-hand). During the day she changes her tampons every 3 to 4 hours. She also says that she has very heavy periods but they are not too painful (I asked her about the pain bearing endometriosis in mind) - your advice on the tampon usage as well as heavy periods at the age of 15 would be appreciated. I told her that it is most probably time that she goes for her first visit with a Gynae and also told her that the Gynae won' t automatically give her a physical examination at 15 (is this true?). Thank-you.

Toxic shock syndrome is not very common these days with the tampons currently in use. It is okay to leave them in all night. Heavy periods are relative. Changing every 3-4 hours sounds normal. There is no need for her to see a gynaecologist at this stage.