Posted by: Alice | 2012-03-30

1.If I end up leaving tampon inside me for more than eight hours, can be be of any harm? 2. How do i know when to change a tampon? 3. What precausions need to be taken while using tampons?
Thank you doc.

You should change tampons approximately every 6 hours. If you sleep for 8 hours there is no need to wake up to do this though. If blood soaks through the tampon then change it earlier.

Posted by: Alice | 2012-04-06

Kind of pain Nini..Getting better with passing days. Seems to be gettin fine. Thank you Doc.Thanks Nini

Reply to Alice
Posted by: Nini | 2012-04-02

The vagina is a self cleansing organ. You dont have to worry too much about " cleaning"  it. If you are worried about some sort of infection, I would firstly recommend a probiotic for a few days. Alternatively, some people recommend a douche, but I cant offer any advice as I dont do that.

What do you mean by an uneasy feeling down there? Like you think there''s already an infection? Does it itch / burn etc ?

Reply to Nini
Posted by: Alice | 2012-03-31

Thanks nini,
Any idea what precautions can be taken to avoid bacterial infection if I have left the tampon for over eight hours a couple of times during this menstrual cycle? I am having that uneasy feeling in there. Scared. I am planning a baby in a few months and cant risk such infections.

Reply to Alice
Posted by: Nini | 2012-03-30

Hi Alice, I''m not sure when the gynea is going to be answering questions again - they seem to be few and far between.

So I''ll try give your answer a shot. If a tampon is left in for too long, you stand the risk of a bacterial infection. Or even worse, something called TSS (Toxic Shock Syndrome). This can be caused by an infection, usually from bacteria - however this is also in very extreme cases.

Over and above that, you should also change every few hours specifically for hygiene purposes!!! Not that it needs to be changed every 2 hours, but at least within the last 4 -6 hours or so. Unless of course you sleep with it in for the night, then change it right before bedtime, and first thing when you get up in the morning again.

If the tampon is full then you will leak. If the tampon is not full, and you''ve exceeded 6 hours, I would recommend you change it. The last thing you want are nasty odours lurking around, and of course the risk of a bacterial infection.

Good luck :-)

Reply to Nini