Question
Posted by: Girlygirl | 2010/04/15

Tampons

Do tampons cause infections? Can I use a tampon for the duration of my period, or will I give myself an infection? I constantly hear that tampons should not be used all the time, as the body''s natural reaction to having a period is to release the blood out of the vagina, and not be " plugged"  if so to speak.
Sorry to those who consider my question to be stupid, but I would really like to know the truth about tampons, and whether they are actually good or bad.

If you change tampons regularly there should not be any problems.

6

Posted by: Girlygirl | 2010/04/16

Thanks for all your advice! I really appreciate it. At least I can cross this of my worry list!
Thanks ladies!!! :)

Reply to Girlygirl
Posted by: Purple | 2010/04/16

I''ve used tampons for 19 years - day and night and never had an infection.

Reply to Purple
Posted by: Leanne | 2010/04/16

Hi there. There is never a stupid question. It''s actually a good question. I have also used tampons for the past 10 years or so and never had a problem, I even use them at night. My rule is new tampon in the morning, then every 4-5 hours and a new one just before going to sleep. Also, don''t use a size bigger thinking you wont have to change it for a while, leaving them in for long periods of time can cause TSS (Toxic Shock Syndrome) I cannot use a sanitary pad, they gross me out

Reply to Leanne
Posted by: Girlygirl | 2010/04/15

Thanks, so I will not be using tampons at night anymore then. Cos if you havent had any problems, then I am going to follow your steps, and only use them during the day.

Reply to Girlygirl
Posted by: Nix | 2010/04/15

I have used tampons for the last 20 years (not during the night) and have never ever had any kind of infection. I could not do without them!

Reply to Nix