Posted by: Weight Training | 2008-11-19

Hi There

I am 25 female, who weigh 54kg and 156cm. I would like to tone up and reduce fat on my arms and legs, can you recommend the amount of times I need to do weight training. And if I can train my upper body on the same day as my lower body

Hi Tammy

A couple of times a week is good, but you need to realise that weight training is not the answer, by itself. The mistake people make is that they try to target the muscle group, often at the expense of doing the whole body exercise that is actually more effective. That's not to say that focus on a muscle group or area is bad, because you need it, but it's better to do whole body exercise. The exercise is cardio training - like running, walking, cycling, swimming, taebo, aerobics etc. Anything that is cardiovascular gets the heart pumping and energy burning is most effective. It is just a question of how you use these cardio sessions. I would suggest at least 4 days a week of cardio training, each session lasting about 30 to 45 minutes, AT LEAST. You have to build up this duration and then keep at it consistently in order to see change.

The specific exercises for the area in question have a relatively minor role, other than that they are responsible for developing the muscle in the area, which creates the appearance of being toned. That's obviously what you want, but you have to realise that you can't do the toning and specific work first and neglect the cardio - it has to work the other way around, cardio first, toning second. So focus on cardio, then on toning.

Diet is also very crucial, and if it's not 100% it will undermine any exercise benefits. So the best thing is to see a dietician or follow a very good diet plan. Just remember that low kilojoule is not necessarily better - too low causes problems as well, because it causes the body's metabolic rate to drop and that affects your ability to lose weight in the future. So don't try to starve yourself or go overboard, rather eat sensibly, cut out as much fat as you can, and listen to your body.

As for the upper and lower body question, yes, you can do them together, but of course, it depends on what you do, how hard you do it, and how many times a week you do it. For a couple of times a week, it's not a problem

Posted by: Bell | 2008-11-20

Cardio 3 x a week and weights 2 x a week. Works for me :)

Reply to Bell