Question
Posted by: Topsy Turvy | 2008/09/26

Talomil vs Natural Medication

Hi CS

I am clinically depressed with anxiety and with underlying PTS (due to a violent and abusive father/dysfunctional childhood). Now in my 40' s. Had counselling for the family dramas, kind of moved on. Now circumstances how regurgitated everything that I worked to put behind me. My mother had a stroke due to the stress and is now living with now. Broke. I still feel bad on the meds 40mg Talomil and 3 x Urbanol per day. I developed panic attacks. They keep saying well you are on the right meds and leave it at that. I am however supposed to go to a Psychiatrist (as I have a drug interaction problem), very sensitive system and also on meds for Asthma. I don' t have the money. I feel as if I may as well go onto something natural. Is there really something out there herbal/homeopathic that really does control depression/anxiety/PTS - I mean for real, just no " may hellp" . Also, where you do you find a Psychiatrist working pro bono. I am trying to go the state way, but it takes ages. Am I playing a dangerous game here by wanting to go off the meds. I just feel that that they either aren' t working or am I worse than anyone realises. My GP just says see Psychiatrist.

This question is only for CS. Please do not punt any products or quote Religion or any such thing. I only want CS to answer unless you really have a valid comment regarding natural meds.

Regards to you CS

PTS --- you mean PTSD ? Its the disorder that causes problems and deserves treatment. There are various meds which, along with CBT, DO help PTSD and anxiety --- I would not consider Urbanol or Talomil at all ideal for treating PTSD --- SSRI ADs do better. Possible interactions with your asthma meds need to be considered, obviously. But there are good generic ( equivalent but cheaper ) versions of most ADs available now which could keep the cost down.
As for "Natural" meds, I have a few problems, One is that there is no good evidence any of them are effective, especially in conditions like this. Another is that they can also interact unhelpfully with other meds. Another is that they are rarely much cheaper ( and a drug that doesn't work, even if it doesnt cost much, is actually of no value and hence actually expensive ). Also, none are actually "natural" --- they don't grow on trees --- they're manufactured, too, and they're chemically dirty, containing many different chemicals, most of whom have never been properly tested for effectiveness or safety. And "natural" isn't necessarily good --- arsenic and strychnine are entirely natural, but not at all good for us !
Yes, pity the State way takes so long ( though I'm told it can take months to get to see a private shrink, too. maybe now with a much better Health Minister 9 and a Deputy Health Minister I know and think very highly of ) things may improve.
I doubt that many shrinkls can afford to work pro bono --- they also need to feed their kids.

1
Posted by: From Topsy to CS | 2008/09/26

Hi CS

Yes, I meant Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome. Actually what you have said has helped me a lot I' ve been in Trauma 6 times for a panic attack I don' t think I have ever had. My vitals go crazy and thats the diagnosis. I know its the meds but I just don' t have the knowledge. Besides, which if I am having panic attacks (and I am depressed) I would not be surprised or hard on myself, to be quite blunt by now I earned the condition. I just need the right meds and help. ps. I like the little sting in the last sentence except you mistyped shrinks as shrinkls so I have the last laugh.
From now on I shall address you as " Shrinkel" .

Have a lovely weekend - here' s a hug
Hopefully, when I write back to you I will be less Topsy or Turvy.

Reply to From Topsy to CS