Posted by: ssnoopy | 2009-09-20

Talking to yourself

Pleas help

My partner, has major problems whne drunk.
Firstly when he atarts drinking he seem to stop.
Then he starts talking to himeself a loud even shouting and this goes for for 8-10 hours non stop.
He will also find a person or a subject to pick on and will carry about that for hours.
But what is disturbing is that he phones people and accuses them of whatever is going through his head about that person. Normally what he accuses one of is not true but something he has fabricated in his head.

He will not listen to me to stop drinking, or even to control it and he becaomes abusive to me if I interfere with his talking and figmentations.
He then focuses on me and I get the brunt of it.

It is most annoying as like I sadi he talks for hours and loud and down right repetitve nonsense

He refuse to go for help and when sober he is really a nice person

Could this be something from his past that he outlets on or could it be an illness

Gernerally he does not have good memory and is short fused when things do not go his way, or he has to wait etc.

Sounds like a problem drinker. And 8 to 10 hours of noisy shouting, in an episode, is more than the usual drunk. As is phoning people to accuse them of imagined offenses. Most alcoholics are quite nice when sober --- that's not enough toe xcuse their horrible behaviour when drunk. And as he refuses to go for help, and gets abusive to you, he's a really bad choice of partner. He is incredibly unlikely to change for the better. It is NOT likely to be related to anything that happened to him in the past, and even if it were, that would be irrelevant --- he is still responsible for how he behaves NOW, whatever might have happened in the past. He could, from the sound of it, also be accumulateing brain and other physical damage from his long-term excessive drinking. If he refuses to try to save himself, you should concentrate on saving yourself

Posted by: woopi | 2009-09-21

It sounds like my father. I don' t have any advice for you, expect that it won' t stop it will just get worse. And there is nothing you can do that will change him.

Reply to woopi