Posted by: Crazy? | 2009-03-05

Talking to myself

I talk to myself.

I plan conversations that I am going to have (or might never have) with people. I usually dont talk too loudly, maybe whispering, or just moving my lips without making too many sounds. The other day my boyfriend saw me doing this and asked me if I was talking to myself, and then told me I am mad. Am I mad?

I find its a great release when I am angry with someone, I can scream and shout at them (while taking to myself in whispers) and get some frustration out, however I can see how if someone was to see me, they would think I am slightly dotty.

I talk to myself, too. At times. And usually I'm friendly. Lip moving, or even thinking it clearly, without sound, is maybe commonest ; and rehearsing a possible con versation or statement, all very normal.
And how much healthier to silently mouth what you'd like to say to someone who has angered you ( so long as they're not good at lip-reading !) rather than saying it aloud and getting into a fight.
Now, if you start arguing with yourself, that may be less useful. I don't think most peopl would think it dotty --- like nose-picking, it's something most people do, privately, and only make any fuss about when someone else does it.

Posted by: fairy | 2009-03-26

you are not alone. i talk and laugh all by myself.its funny sometimes because i dont know whether i really said something out loud or if i was just thinking about it. if there is somebody that i really hate or somebody that im angry with i imagine what i would say or do to them then i say it out loud. Like you my boyfriend also saw me once. he was standing behind me & i didnt realise it. when he asked who i was talking to,i just laughed &  told him i was thinking out was quiet hilerious.Dont worry people like you & i are still logical and normal.

Reply to fairy
Posted by: No way | 2009-03-06

I think too many people shun the idea of talking to themselves and they are missing out on some great conversations !! Talking to oneself provides tremendous self assurance, especially if its out loud and looking at yourself in the eyes, in a mirror(Try to do this in private as it does look goofy !) This is especially helpful if you are feeling upset or insecure, simply by telling yourself to yourself what a great person you are and that you can overcome the current problem because you believe in yourself and you know you can. Remember, you are your own very best friend and no one knows your strengths and weaknesses better than you.

Reply to No way