Question
Posted by: Rob | 2010/06/09

Talking in my sleep is fine. But cleaning house?

Dear Prof Simpson,

What I am about to relate really did happen.

I took a sleeping tablet, as I sometimes do (zolpidem 10mg). These are the events that took place as far as I can work out.

I ''awoke'' and ventured to the kitchen. Once there I appear to have searched through the cupboards for some reason. According to others in the house, I was also talking loudly. In the process I broke a glass of some sort (I still haven''t discovered where I put what''s left of it). I had the presence of mind to clean it up with wet newspaper as I had learnt all the way back in primary school. I did discover them in the bin though. Subsequently, I sustained a laceration to my left hand - and as a result I left bloodprints on everything I touched from then on.

I found prints in obvious places like light switches and the walls and floors. However it wasn''t until today that I opened my drawer where I keep all my meds (such as Panado and unused portions of meds I''d been on before).

All in all, judging by the blood prints on the boxes I consumed an unknown quantity of Geodon, Molipaxin &  Trepiline. Most disturbingly I also appear to have taken about ten zolpidem tablets (totaling about 100mg).

Although clearly not fatal, I do feel terrible - as in depressed and at times suicidal.

Also, I feel that I am dissociating reality - seeing my life go by as one would watch a movie. (I studied psych at tertiary level so I''m like a pharmacist reading a doctor''s script). I can now relate to someone who has suffered Dissociative Fugue - waking up and wondering what the hell happened.

Prof is this common? or am I?

Dx: F31.7
Rx: Epilim CR 500 bd, Lithium 800mg nocte, Trepiline 25mg nocte.

This could indeed be an example of dissociation. You seem to be describing a more troublesome example of sleep-walking ( and sleep-talking). This type of phenomenon is both more common and more complex than most people think - there have indeed been examples of people on thsi sort of autopilot cleaning house, even driving a car some distance, and waking in a parking lot.
There are, obviously, risks in this, of falling, having accidents ( like your laceration ) and so on - taking an overdose in such a state is a variation I haven't come across before. but would be possible.
Have you any evidence of similar episodes of sleepwalking before this ? You mention "others in the house| so there could have been some helpful observations by them, before now, which they didn't mention ?
I'm not sure that the other meds would necessarily promote this, though a sedative like zolpidem might help it to happen, as would alcohol.
It would be wise to see and discuss this with your treating / prescribin shrink, for a re-assessment, and to take precautions which are easier with others in the house - have them lock the door, for instance, with you not having access to a key during sleeping hours.

1