Question
Posted by: Dan | 2010/07/22

Talking in her sleep

Hi Doc,

My fiance talks a lot in her sleep as well as grinding her teeth. What are the reasons for people talking in their sleep and what can cause her to grind her teeth?

Expert ImageSleep Expert

When we dream, the muscles become paralyzed, preventing sleep-walking and sleep-talking. In some people this mechanism does not work fully, and so one gets the talking. By the way, the content of what she says does not mean anything at all.

Grinding of teeth can be a similar phenomenon, or it can be from anxiety, of it can be a movement disorder, which could even disrupt sleep. Usually its biggest problem is that people wear their teeth down, and she might need a bite plate at night.

2
Posted by: Dan | 2010/07/22

Thanks Doc. Not worried about what she says. She mumbles so much I cannot make out what she''s trying to say. heheh.

I''m worried that she will wear her teeth down, so I will look for that bite plate. Is it like a gum guard that we rugby players wear but specifically designed for sleeping?

Reply to Dan
Posted by: Sleep expert | 2010/07/22

Reply to Sleep expert