Posted by: Paul | 2009-05-16

Taking up boxing

Ive decided to take up boxing the sessions at my local gym are held on monday from 7-8pm would attending one of these sessions be advisable after a morning/early afternoon weight session as monday is also weights day.

Hi Paul

There's no reason why you can't do it on the same day. Obviously, in the beginning, you'd be adding a session on top of a session, which would be tough. What I would do is back off the gym session on those days, just by 20% and give yourself a chance to recover a little more.

As your body adapts, then the double-training day would not be as much of a problem for you. But early on, reducing the volume of one day might pay.

More than this, is there any need to force both onto the same day? Could you not switch a session around so that Wednesday became the weight day? Just a thought. I don't think it really makes a huge difference, but you do have to look at the training overall and not just the one day. What is the rest of the week like? Is Tuesday an easy day to allow recovery from the double day before it?