Question
Posted by: mb | 2008/10/10

Taking stray cat to the vet?

There is a cat we always see around in our complex, but found out last night that he doesn' t really belong to anyone, he just hangs around the gate and there are people who put out food for him there. He had this sore on his nose which has now spread to the one side of his face, and my husband and I would really like to get him to a vet to get him checked out. How do we go about getting him into a carrier..? He' s happy enough to let people approach him to pet him, but I don' t know how he would react to being put in a carrier and a car... Are there " tricks"  or tips to making the process painless for all?

ANY advice would be appreciated! :)

Failing that, if we can' t get him into a carrier, would it be enough if we took a photo of the sore and showed that to a vet..?

Dear MN

Put food out in a carrier and close the door as soon as in. The rest of the problems the vet will have to deal with.

7
Posted by: Melbalina | 2008/10/14

Sorry to hear Mb. Let us know how it goes please.

Reply to Melbalina
Posted by: jax | 2008/10/13

at least you will be sparing him a long and painful death, and I' m sure he will appreciate that.

Reply to jax
Posted by: mb | 2008/10/13

The vet was closed on Saturday afternoon when we wanted to take the cat through, so we just took a photo of the sore on its face. On Sunday the cat was missing, so we just took the photo to the vet who immediately identified it as advanced cancer. He says we can take him in for a cortisone injection for the pain, but there' s really nothing we can do for him, and the most humane thing would be to have him put down.
So we' ll probably take him for the cortisone injection this afternoon, and try and notify everyone who' s been involved with the cat of the circumstances, and then we' ll probably end up having to have him put to sleep. :(
(lots of people have been involved with the cat, and we don' t just want to take it away without anyone having had a chance to say goodbye)

Reply to mb
Posted by: Carol | 2008/10/10

Put them into the carrier bum first .. they seem to find it less threatening that way.

While u are at the vet , ask if they do a low cost neuter/spay , many of them do and then you can have that done at the same time .

Reply to Carol
Posted by: Melbalina | 2008/10/10

You' re welcome, Mb and best of luck!

Reply to Melbalina
Posted by: mb | 2008/10/10

Hi Melbalina

Thanks for the advice!! We' ll see what happens this weekend.... :)

Reply to mb
Posted by: Melbalina | 2008/10/10

Hi mb. There' s a cat I regularly catch to take to the vet every few months for an allergy shot. What I do is put a treat down inside one of the rooms. Once he is inside eating, I throw a towel around him and put him into the carrier. Depending how vigorously he moves, you might need to try more than once or a few days later (since you don' t want to cause much stress for him). I just go with gusto and determination lol. Another method is to set up a cat cage trap (you can get them from shelters and possibly your vet) and place a treat inside. Once he walks in, the mechanism causes the door to shut behind him. This is less stressful for the cat but can require patience. He might not be too happy with you for a day or two, but will thank you in the long run. Or, you can simply put a picnic basket near him and try and quickly pop him inside (carriers with lids on top are sometimes easier to use) - he might not resist much. And I think it' s great you are willing to take him to the vet :).

Reply to Melbalina