Question
Posted by: Anono | 2008-11-13

Taking pet on holiday

I am taking my jack russel away on family holiday in December. We will be driving for 12 hours, do you think it would be better to sedate him and take him in the car or to maybe fly him down? He is quite hyperactive so to have him jumping around the car for 12 hours cant be an option. If I do sedate him, will he be able to still wake up and do his business when we make stops?

Dear Anono

Valium or Alprazolam works best for travelling. Ask your vet to dispence you some.

5
Posted by: Charlie | 2008-11-18

we take our jack russels EVERYWHERE with us.
you get a "  travel box"  from a pet shop that is perfect inside the car, we then stop as often as possible and
let them out to walk with thier harness/leashes on and theyr very happy to do so. Tranquilzers are not always necessary

Reply to Charlie
Posted by: Kate | 2008-11-14

I have 2 Jacks that travel everywhere with me, but they have been doing so since they were little bitty pups.
I think Carol' s advice stands.
I also put my dog' s in a body harness that should anything happen (heaven forbid) hopefully someone would notice that they are not strays.

Reply to Kate
Posted by: Anon | 2008-11-14

I have a Jack Russel, and there is NO WAY I' d go travelling with him! He is just way too active. It' s a mission just to get him to the vet for his innoculations each time!

Posted by: Anono | 2008-11-14

hanks carol and cybervet.

Reply to Anono
Posted by: Carol | 2008-11-14

When we moved towns and provinces 3 years ago , hubs had an 18 hour trip with two hyper boxers !

No tranquilizers, just chew toys and a good walk every few hours .

They were fine , not a murmur out of either of them.

Reply to Carol