Question
Posted by: Just asking | 2012/10/05

TAKING MEDICATION

Good morning DD

I am in the waiting period for my bariatric surgery (RNY) and I am wondering how i will ever be able to take medication again. I understand I have to take chewable or liquid vitamins for the rest of my life, but what happens if and when I get sick. How do I take the tablets that are prescribes. If I get a headache, what do I do? Will I need to inform everyone I am a bariatric patiend. Is there special medication for us?

Dear Just Asking
If you have part of your digestive tract bypassed with the help of bariatric surgery to reduce your food intake this does not mean that you cannot absorb food or medications. You will still be able to absorb some food and the nutrients contained in the food and you will still be able to absorb medications. The reason why you need to take the vitamins is that your food intake will be reduced to such an extent that you will probably not absorb sufficient vitamins and minerals to maintain good health. You will thus have to obtain them from the supplements. However, this is also an important question that you need to ask your surgeon. I would presume the surgeon will advise if there are any medications that you cannot take after bariatric surgery and I am sure he/she will recommend that you always inform any doctor who treats you and prescribes medications of the fact the you have had bariatric surgery particularly if you every require an anaesthetic or if you have to have other types of surgery. Once you have chatted to the doctor once more, you will be able to concentrate on the surgery that lies ahead and the benefits this will entail - pronounced weightloss, great improvement in health, greater mobility, improved self-image and increased self-confidence, etc.
Wishing you the best of luck for the bariatric operation.

1

Dear Just Asking