Question
Posted by: DTBM | 2012/06/05

Taking clomid if I do ovulate

What are the risks of miscarriage or failed pregnancies if I take Clomid but I am ovulating on my own?

Some months I was not sure if I ovulate so I got a script for Clomid - this month I got a positive on my LH surge without taking the clomid as I had already passed days3-7 before I got the script.

Should I check this coming month again if I ovulate on my own or is it safe to take the clomid as a " back up plan" ?

Dear DTBM

The use of Clomid is specific to patients who have an underlying ovulatory disorder and therefore if you are spontaneously ovulating then the benefits of Clomid are questionable. It would be prudent to do a full a thorough investigation of other likely causes contributing to the fertility problem. This would include the evaluation of the male partner in terms of a sperm analysis and you will also require some form of investigation for tubal patency. Tubal patency can be accessed through an X-ray or an HSG or through a laparoscopy depending on circumstance and the findings of a routine gynaecological evaluation. In the rear situation of unexplained infertility i.e. where investigations are found to be normal but conception is not taking place then it would be feasible to use Clomid to try to enhance the number of eggs produced and in so doing to increase the likelihood of pregnancy. Continuous use of Clomid without monitoring or without success should be discourage as there are short term and long term consequence of Clomid abuse.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

1
Posted by: Fertility Expert | 2012/06/09

Dear DTBM

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

Reply to Fertility Expert