Posted by: Animal lover | 2008-11-12

Taken in a stray Alsatian

Good day Cybervet.

About a year ago this stray German Shepherd showed up at our office. He was petrified of people and would just hide in the bushes. We fed him everyday and after about 2 months of soft words and lots of patience, I managed to reach out and touch his cheeck. Since then we have become fairly close. A month ago I manage to get him to follow me up onto the back of a truck and to take him home.

I have 5 cats at home. We also have stray cats at the office. He never had any problem whatsoever with them. But at home, he gives my cats funny stares and he sometimes runs towards them. I have never seen what happens when he reaches them as I would shout for him to stop. Do you think he is potentially going to attck them? Or is he just curious because he doesn' t really know what/who they are.

I don' t want to get rid of him. What do you suggest?

Dear Animal lover

As much as I would like to say that all will be fine, every situation is different. Some dog get on very well with cats and other will kill them straight away. It sounds like your dog is well behaved and listens to your commands so I think things may settle down after a few light encounters.

Posted by: Animal lover | 2008-11-13

Thank you for the very helpful advice to all of you. Yesterday, we decided to let the dog inside the house with all the cats. We allowed all of them to sit with us in the living room. For some reason, this seemed to have done the trick. But I also think it is because I' ve told him " No!"  in a stern voice two days before and the very day before. He really does listen very well and is very obedient.

And don' t worry Chivaz' s mom, I would never get rid of him. The next step would have been to take my boy (and myself) to doggy school.

Reply to Animal lover
Posted by: Chill | 2008-11-12

Well done for taking in this dog. It can be a really heartwarming and rewarding experience.

I think Chivaz' s mom is right in that the cats will know to keep out of the way - as long as they are reasonably fit and have an escape route, they should be ok.

You could also introduce them at closer quarters under close supervision, to see how the dog reacts. It sounds likely to me that they' re busy sussing each other out, and that once they all get used to each other, they' ll probably be fine. If the dog really hated cats, or considered them as prey, then he wouldn' t merely be looking at them ' funny' !

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Chivaz' s mom | 2008-11-12

1st... Good for you for taking him in- and please dont get ' rid'  of him because of the cats, i think they' ll get the idea to get out of his way...and even much later get used to each other...hopefully. What i do at home is keep Chivaz and Tessa apart (Tessa my dwarf cat), the cat has a separate place to chill (and do the dirty) and so does Chivaz who is most of the time outside, they are fed every far apart and Tessa does not go near Chivaz' s bed. Naturally we do not want the 2 of them to be alone since animals can be pretty unpredicable.... please dont get rid of him......

Reply to Chivaz&#39 s mom