Question
Posted by: shelly | 2011/03/22

tabby

I have a male tabby aged 7. It embarasses me to be seen with him, which is awful. he walks around alot and is very thin although he eats well. He has hardly no teeth and what he has left has been broken off. What on earth can I do with him, or what could the problem be.

Hi Shelly
There are numerous things that can cause weight loss in a cat and it is definitely recommended that you take him to the vet for a check-up. A couple of important questions that the vet might ask you are: Does he seem to be dropping his food when eating? (evidence that he is struggling to chew or swallow his food) What does his stool look like? Does he ever vomit? How is he otherwise, happy and lively or sometimes depressed? So monitor him carefully for any other symptoms that might help the vet to make a diagnosis.
The first thing always to exclude when patients are eating well and still losing weight, are worms, so if you have not dewormed him recently, do so (obviously with a good, veterinary prescribed, dewormer!) If the weight loss is due to a dental problem, he will benefit from a high energy, soft food.

1
Posted by: CyberVet | 2011/03/22

Hi Shelly

Reply to CyberVet