Question
Posted by: BRENDA | 2010/10/26

TABASCO VS SPICES

I suffer from gout, love tabasco but with its vingegar content have to avoid it can I indulge in spices like aromat &  chillie without it palying havoc

Dear Brenda
I am not sure what ingredient in Tabasco sauce causes your gout to flare up, because as far as I know the sauce does not contain purines which are the compounds that are responsible for gout. It is possible that some types of Tabasco sauce contain alcohol which could worsen your gout. Vinegar does not generally cause gout. You will have to try Aromat and Chillie pepper to see how you react. If you suffer from gouty osteo-arthritis then you actually need to eat a diet that is low in compounds called 'purines'. Generally speaking anyone with gout needs to avoid a buildup of uric acid in the body. Excessive uric acid buildup is caused by a disorder in the metabolism of so-called "purines", which are compounds that occur in high quantities in red meat, organ meats (brains, liver, kidneys, sweetbreads), anchovies, meat extracts, broth, bouillon, and gravies made from meat drippings, sardines, herrings, mackerel, mussels, partridge, fish roes, baker's and brewer's yeast taken as supplements. Beans, pulses, spinach, asparagus and mushrooms have a moderate purine content and can be eaten in moderate quantities. Other vegetables and fruits have a negligible purine content and can be eaten freely. Alcohol and rich, fatty foods also exacerbate gout. Your gout may also respond to an increase in the intake of omega-3 fatty acids. Salmon oil capsules are a good source of omega-3.
Hope this helps

1

Dear Brenda
Hope this helps