Posted by: J Smith | 2009-07-16

Syringing of Ear

My husbands left ear became blocked approximately 2 months ago. For awhile it would open momentarily and then become blocked again however it is now permanently blocked. His right ear is now also becoming blocked. We do not have have any medical insurance. Would it be safe to attempt to syringe his ears ourselves. We do not know whether his ear are blocked due to wax however due to us being on a very small limited income we would like to try and rectify this problem ourselves if at all possible. Your input would be appreciated.
J Smith

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear J Smith
Syringing of the ear should only be attempted by a person qualified to perform this procedure. It could well just be wax impaction in which case a wax softening oil will help soften the wax before attempting wax removal. Syringing of the ear could cause damage to the eardrum if not correctly performed or damage to the middle ear if there is an existing tympanic membrane perforation.

I would suggest:
1. Having your GP or local clinic sister examine your ear for wax.
2. If there is no wax present on examination, a hearing test is warranted.