Question
Posted by: Chris | 2011-07-12

Syphilis

I donated blood and just received a letter stating that they found traces of treponema pallidum antibodies (syphilis) in my blood... how serious is this. Could I have contracted this through oral sex? I don''t have any signs or anything unusual??

It is serious enough that you need to follow it up.

A positive antibody test with no signs/symptoms could be due to it being in early stages, so if your sexual activity is consistent with possible exposure via unprotected sex (yes, oral sex counts), then I recommend you follow this up with a medical practitioner soon.

However, if you have not behaved in a risky way, then there is a possibility of a false positive result. This could still be an indication of a health concern, so please follow this test result up regardless!

Claire - SASHA

1
Posted by: Sexologist | 2011-07-12

Claire - SASHA

Reply to Sexologist