Question
Posted by: Mol | 2011-03-02

Symtoms of what?

Not being able to get any diagnosis from my gynae x 3 appointments in the last 4 mnths &  urologist (all tests coming up normal including, CT, gynae scans, cystoscopy, paps, cultures etc.), I continue with diffuse pain that radiates from lower pelvic area up to around my belly button. Since November (when it began) I was diagnosed with my first UTI, antibiotics made pain no better, but urine test after antibiotic was clear for infection –  expect micro blood (hence the CT and cystoscopy). Pain continued and became so severe in December, I went to a GP who diagnosed PID (antibiotics x 3 and felt much better within 2 days). Did follow up with gynae afterwards. Since then, pain has returned but to a MUCH lesser degree and I have noted a DEFINATE pattern to the following symptoms:
1. On start of menstruation day it completely disappears (I do have normal period cramping though as always, but this ''other'' pain is gone). It is gone up until ovulation and thereafter it starts again for about 2 weeks before the start of my next period.
2. Pain during urination in latter half of cycle
3. Pain always starts later in the day, it’ s never there upon waking up and disappears completely upon retiring and lying on my back.
4. Bearing down feeling in my rectum area
5. A haemorrhoid - re-occuring
6. When my gynae did an internal exam and pressed on what I thought were my ovaries, it was VERY tender on both sides (he said I must be ovulating, but I wasn’ t, it was a day or two away from my period..)
7. Vaginal discharge seems to have increased, but only in latter part of cycle.
8. Tilted uterus
I know these symptoms could be suggestive of many things, but with the more sinister being ruled out (apparently) and my gynae saying I’ m over anxious and there is nothing wrong, is there any possibility of pelvic congestion syndrome? Where to from here? Any correlation to the PID ? (if that’ s what I had at all –  no gonnoreah or chlamydia picked up). Can it just start at anytime ? I am 34, have 2 girls, natureal births with placenta accreta and 2 D& C''s thereafter (7 yrs ago). Thank you gynaedoc.

It sounds like you had PID as the initial cause for the pain, as it improved quite quickly with antibiotics. PID can cause damage to the pelvic organs and this can give rise to chronic pain and also the congetsive symptoms you describe. One option would be a long course of antibiotics, fo a month or so. This should include Doxycycline. The other option might be a trial of progesterone treatment as this is the treatment for pelvic congestion syndrome.

1
Posted by: gynaedoc | 2011-03-03