Question
Posted by: D | 2009-07-10

Symptoms of Anxiety or Panic

I want to know if there are varied levels of anxiety. I sometimes start to get nervous just thinking about get anxiety. IT is like the fear of fear, thereby triggering the whole process. How do you stop a cycle like that?

Expert ImageArchive

Psychologist: You are speaking about the anticipatory anxiety that many individuals feel who have panic attacks. The anticipation of having a panic attack becomes a fear of fear (or the panic itself). Having a panic attack is a frightening experience, so the fear of having another commonly occurs. It is important to firstly understand panic, and know that panic is not a life-threatening or a dangerous situation. Getting treatment to reduce the symptoms of panic will help in reducing the anticipation of them as well.

Cognitive behavior therapy is an ideal form of treatment, in reducing the symptoms. You may contact SADAG Helpline: 0800 70 80 90 to get more information
SMS: 31393

4
Posted by: Alex D | 2009-07-10

I experience some sort of panic attack while driving. I start to yawn to relax, which increases my oxygen levels too much, which causes me to get drowsy increasing my stress on the road, which in turn makes me yawn more. How do I break this cycle?

Reply to Alex D
Posted by: AM | 2009-07-10

I have a similar reaction as " D"  - as long as I don' t think about the anxiety, I am fine - when I acknowledge its existence by thinking about it or even talking about it, I become anxious. The original reason for my anxiety seems to have disappeared, but I am now fearing the anxiety itself. How to break this cycle &  get back to normal carefree ME?!

Reply to AM
Posted by: Essack Ismail | 2009-07-10

Do one wake up in the morning and after a few minutes end up with hot flush which last for +- 10 mins.

Reply to Essack Ismail
Posted by: Reggie | 2009-07-10

Every time i go to an interview i get panic attacks, my voice will start to tremble and get cold feet, iafter the interview i feel relaxed, why

Many thanx

Reply to Reggie