Posted by: D | 2009-07-10

Symptoms of Anxiety or Panic

I want to know if there are varied levels of anxiety. I sometimes start to get nervous just thinking about get anxiety. IT is like the fear of fear, thereby triggering the whole process. How do you stop a cycle like that?

Expert ImageArchive

Psychologist: Hi D
There are varied levels of anxiety. The experience of anxiety has two parts which is the awareness of body sensations such as a fast beating heart and sweating and then the awareness of being nervous or frightened. This affects your thinking and your perception. Anxious persons often select things in their environment and overlook others to coincide with their feeling. This justifies the fear and the anxiety becomes more intense which often does set up a vicious cycle of anxiety and as you say a ‘fear of fear’.

Cognitive behavioural therapy helps at this level to get a person to change their thoughts to lower the feelings of anxiety. The therapist will train you on relaxation techniques, breathing techniques and methods to change your thinking. Other types of therapy may also intervene at this level through helping you understand the anxiety and the role it plays in your life. If the anxiety is restricting your life significantly sometimes a combination of medication, cognitive behavioural therapy and exploratory therapy can help.