Question
Posted by: Survivor | 2009/09/15

Symptoms of a serious condition

After years of therapy &  months of being put onto the correct medications, I' m starting to come to terms with being bipolar. I didn' t realise how complex this illness is. I' ve battled eating disorders, self-mutalation, alcoholism and many other addictions (including diet pills &  smoking). I normally turn to these behaviours when I' ' m in a " manic"  episode. These behaviours are all symptomatic and they don' t exactly work well with the medication (especially alcohol etc.).

It' s been incredibly difficult to trust my doctors and I' ve often questioned whether or not they know what they' re talking about. Is this all part of my condition? Many of my behaviours are about staying ill because I sabotage my own progress. Am I doing this now by questioning the professionals? I' m seeing one of the top psychiatrists in the country and yet I think I' m still in some kind of denial! Will I have to live with this condition forever? What does it all mean?

Maybe its not a guaranteed part of your now diagnosed illness to be suspicious, but an understandable reaction to your experiences of working towards reaching the diagnosis. But if, as you now seem to recognize, "Many of my behaviours are about staying ill because I sabotage my own progress." more suspicion could usefully be directed towards your own attitude to being ill ( needing care and excused full responsiobility for your choices and actions ) and being well ?