Posted by: asthma sufferer | 2009-09-01

symbicort prescription or not

Dear Pharmacist,

I am on Symbicort 320mg and last month the pharmacy at the doctor where I usually get it, did not have the 320 in stock. He said that we could get it from any other pharmacy without prescription. We then went to a certain pharmacy where the pharmacist had only the 160mg to give me, which he did without any problem. Afterwards, I went to another pharmacy to get the 320mg which works better for me. The lady behind the counter refused to help me and said that it was a prescription drug and she would not give it to me. I am confused, how come my doctor told me I could get it at any pharmacy without prescription, the one pharmacist gave it to me, the other refused? My doctors'  rooms are quite a few kilo' s from where I stay, and I cannot go there just to get a prescription if it not really neaded. Please advice whether I must have a prescription or not.
Thanks very much.

Expert ImagePharmacist

Symbicord is scheduled as a S3 drug and does require a prescription.