Question
Posted by: Francois | 2011/10/26

Symbicort 160 4.5

I have been using symbicort for the last 5 days - and will be using it for the next 6 months and probably another 12 months after. This is because of Athma symptoms.
The medication has made my voice hoarse –  there are no other side affects

Will the hoarseness clear (I will be taking the medication for 18 months)?
Is it dangerous?

Expert ImagePharmacist

Hi Francois

Unfortunately, voice effects associated with asthma inhalers are quite common. This is due to vocal cord/mouth deposition of the drug inside the asthma inhaler.

Whether it will clear or not is, well, unclear - You will probably keep experiencing this symptoms to some extent. You may, however, take some steps to prevent this. The most important is to assure that you are using the inhaler correctly - Look at the package insert and follow the instructions correctly. Also, rinse your mouth with a mouthwash (or otherwise just water) after use, and drink a glass of water. Lastly you may benefit from using a spacer device such as the Aerochamber or GlaxoHaler which is available from most pharmacies, although some studies suggest that it may worsen voice symptoms.

All the best!

1
Posted by: pharmacist | 2011/10/27

Hi Francois

All the best!

Reply to pharmacist