Question

swollowing

hello,

my brother, in his late 30''s, feels that food is getting stuck in his throat. he thinks the food may be sticking to his nasal drip.
he also has a form of muscular dystrophy.
he has seen an ent who did a nasal scope, and said his sinus was ok.

all the swollowing issues are very unwelcome and panicky.
he doesnt have the strength to cough strongly.
we dont want him to lose more weight and strength.
he does drink ensure, has kellogs hi fibre, dinner, plus soft puddings.
his swallowing seemed to have gotten worse when he was on a short course of prednisone for a lung infection. but the food feeling stuck was also there before taking pred. it just seems more problematic now.

advice would be appreciated.
thanks

Hallo Anon
This could be related to his muscular dystrophy.It may feel to him as if the food is sticking but it could be that the muscles that needs to push the food down is not working properly. I suggest that you see a gastroenterologist - they may need to do tests like a scope or a barium swallow so that they can see exactly what happens when he tries to swallow. Try to keep to foods that he finds easier to swallow for now - let him take Fibrogel orange (soluble fibre) in fluid to keep his stomach soft. Is he seeing a neurologist for his muscular dystrophy?
See also http://nmdinfo.net/report_retrieve.php?Report=0036

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2010/11/24

Hallo Anon