Swollen/sprained ankle

I injured my ankle 7 seven years ago by falling over my own feet while running downhill in heels. I went to my GP who did a little bit if infra-red therapy, and he just suggested rubbing the wounded area (the ligaments under my ankle) with Arnica oil. This worked and in a few short weeks my ankle was fine. In Febraury this year, I went for my last hike, and i think i aggravated the ankle/made it worse by walking on the rocky beaches of Cape Point during this hike. As a result thereof, my ankle is now permanently tender. It keeps swelling up after excessive walking or standing and I afraid to get back into running because it feels like there is very little strength in my ankle. What do i do? And will i be able to run again?

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Anonymous

I think you need a proper examination of the foot to see what is going on. It seems unlikely that an injury that happened 7 years ago has flared up again. A podiatrist would be able to assess your foot as well asa the shoes you were wearing when you injured it at Cape Point and work out what happened and why. It may be that you need an insole or corrective orthotic but you should be able to run again.