Question
Posted by: Patricia | 2011-10-23

Swollen Suture Site

Hi, I had my one year old puppy spayed on Tuesday. She is a VERY excited, energetic puppy. She''s been quite good with not licking the site but I have been cleaning it a bit with Detol every now and again (not daily). I took her for a short walk yesterday (before taking her I googled to find out if it''s OK or not) and this morning she chased a cat at full speed around the complex (some person dropped off something and never closed our gate and I couldn''t stop my puppy because she had already spotted the cat).

I noticed this evening that along the length of her stitches, on the left side, it is swollen and hard. It is not red, not oozing or bleeding, just swollen on the one side. She''s eating and drinking and pooping as normal, but she is walking a bit tenderly this evening (still jumping on the furniture though).

I am going to phone the vet tomorrow but is this normal?

Hi Patricia

Post surgical swelling can be common following a surgical procedure. It would be advisable to visit your vet for peace of mind and possible treatment (antibiotics/anti-inflammatories). Given that your pup is eating/drinking and exercising indicated that the problem is likely to be minor.

Kind Regards

Angus Campbell

2
Posted by: Patricia | 2011-10-24

I noticed this morning that the site is back to normal, no lumps or bumps. Still going to phone the vet though.

Thanks.

Reply to Patricia
Posted by: CyberVet | 2011-10-24

Hi Patricia

Kind Regards

Angus Campbell

Reply to CyberVet