Posted by: Margie | 2009-02-04

Swollen painful glands in armpit

I am 65 years old and recently have had mildly swollen tender glands in my right armpit and on the right hand side of the right breast. Been there on and off for a few months, but no lumps at all. Its more tenderness with very slight swelling, and as I' m not on a medical aid, dont want to go to a doctor ujnless its absolutely necessary.
What are the causes of this? I used to get this tenderness before a period, but I' m long past that!

Dear Margie
Rather let your doctor have a look at this - you are in the risk age for breast cancer and any "funny" lumps need to be examined - rather be safe. It is unlikely to be hormonal, and unless you had an obvious infection on the arm that could affect glands are in the armpit, it is not something you should ignore.