Question
Posted by: jade | 2010-12-02

swollen muscle behind ear/neck

Dr Dr

I had maloclusion of 2 molar teeth, which was extracted due to sensitivity. since the problem started my tastebuds at the back was inflammed. it has subsided but now i''ve noticed the muscle behind my ear is a bit swollen. I do not have any pain, it just bothers me cause I have to touch it everytime. I''ve been to an ENT and he could not find anything wrong. I had a bloodtest for aenemia and a full bloodcount and ESR. The bloodwork came back normal.

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Jade

Muscles behind the ear include the Sternoclydomastoid muscle that implants onto the mastoid process of the temporal bone. Thus muscle runs down the neck. The temporalis muscle fans from the front of the ear and covers part of the skull. This muscle is part of the muscles of mastication (the muscles you eat with), and it can enlarge with incorrect eating/biting habbits. It is possible that this could have started the problem.
The important thing in your case was that the ENT examination was normal. If you are still worried, go back to your ENT for another appointment, but over time the problem should settle.