Question
Posted by: Swollen Lips | 2006/10/03

Q.

swollen lips and rash on legs

A few weeks ago I awoke with a swollen upper lip and then days later a swollen lower lip accompanied with a itchy rash on both of my calfs. I went to the doctor and he said it was an allergic reaction and prescibed prednisone and Laura (allergex) which I have continued for 10 days. He also drew blood and it showed that my allergen levels were 3 times the normal amount. My lips swell up more frequently now and is quite embarrasing, yesterday my chin swelled up and lasted until this morning at 11am. I am quite worried about this and my doctor doesn't seem too concerned. What is wrong with me? and how do I get this to stop. I did stop using make up and changed soaps etc and monitored what I was eating. Please help

Expert's Reply

A.

Expert ImageArchive

A swollen lip and an itchy rash on the legs may certainly be related to an "allergy". I accept that the rash and the swollen lip reponded quickly to treatment. You may be suffering from angioedema/hives. Cause are infections, medication, foodstuffs, injections, underlying systemic illness etc. Sometimes no cause can be found. Make up and soap is not the cause of this condition. The best treatment is antihistamines. Cosmetics may cause eczema. I am not 100% sure whether you are suffering from eczema or hives/angioedema.

1
user comments

C.

Posted by: jojo | 2006/10/04

I had the same problem but with me it had something to do with my ARV intake which i know caused toxidy to the liver. Then i took stameta(sp) and since then i will be lying if i say i get swollen cause i tell u i will woke up swollen every day, i was even scared to go and visit my families and friends

Reply to jojo

Want to comment?