Posted by: Zaza | 2011-11-18

Swollen leg

About 10yrs ago I was hospitalised with TB of the lungs. Whilst in hospital my left leg started swelling, and has been swollen everyday since then.

If I am not active, I find that the legs just remains swollen. If I am more active, the leg will itch, feeling like its coming from the bone. I love being active, but find my leg makes it very uncomfortable. The last time I did a 20km race, my toe nails turned black and some of the nails fell off. My GP has advised that I stop being active, but there must be another way.

Any advice, or maybe know of someone you can recommend for me to see in the Cape Town area?

You should ask your doctor for a referral to a vascular surgeon, as your symptoms might be due to a vascular disease. Another possibility is that the tuberculosis could have affected the lymph nodes of your leg, which in turn causes poor lymph drainage and swelling of the leg. All possibilities have to be investigated by the vascular surgeon.