Posted by: TC | 2009-07-13

Swollen hard tummy

My jack rustel is over weight and does love his food. What worries me is that after he eats his tummy seems to be swollen, and hard, and he also does not like it it if we touch it. I get the impression that it hurts because he walks around grunting afterwards. Is it possible for a little dog to suffer from a turned tummy like big dogs do.

Dear TC

It can be the make of food that cause bloating. Some brands are not well digested.

Posted by: Chill | 2009-07-13

Any dog can get a ' turned tummy'  - torsion - but trust me, if your dog is still alive, that is not the problem.

In all likelihood, WR is right - and I totally agree, if this is the case. Overfeeding to the extent that it causes the dog to groan is ridiculous.

What does he weigh? What do you feed him? How often and how much at a time? Does he get snacks as well?

Reply to Chill
Posted by: WR | 2009-07-13

Really?! You serious!?
Have you never considered the fact that it might be from over-eating? Put him on a diet - ask your Vet.
How cruel can you be?! Having an overweight dog should be seen in the same light as not feeding enough!

Reply to WR