Posted by: Nozibele | 2009-07-16

Swollen glands and Bad Breath

Glands below the jawline are always tender, swollen and sore. I get a sore throat and am always in pain. The one gland on the one side of the neck has hardened, I think they call it the submandibular gland. All of this has given me bad breath. Please help.

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Nozibele

Sore tender glands should always be investigated. You could be suffering from any of the following conditions and should consult either your GP or ENT to investigate further and determine the cause:

1. Chronic tonsillitis with cervical adenopathy (enlargement of the neck glands)
2. Glandular fever (Infectious mononucleosis)
3. Submandibular gland stones or infection of this salivary gland
4. Lesions / growths affecting the throat or tonsil will also present with a sore throat and neck glands
5. Other chronic infections - viral, bacterial, fungal infections can affect the throat and must be excluded
6. Some systemic conditions can also cause gland enlargement and should be excluded by your physician.