Posted by: Bronwyn | 2011-01-20

Swollen Gland in throat

About 2 years ago I was told I had tonsillites (they have been removed already about 18 years ago) and with that I had a swollen gland in my throat which never went away. I went to a ENT Specialist in Nelspruit, went for scans &  when the results came back they told me that it was approx. 2.5cm in size but really nothing to worry about.

I''m always aware of this. The spot is uncomfortable to touch &  some days feels bigger that other days. I went to see a GP about this also &  was told that sometimes when you get sick glands swell as a result of bacterial infection and can forever remain swollen. Is this something I need to get a second opion on (if yes, which doctor is the best ENT specialist)?

Thank you!

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Bronwyn

You require an examination by an ENT that specializes in the Head and Neck field if you require a second opinion. One can generally ignore glands under a centimeter in size, but a definite cause must be identified for larger nodes. If you are uncertain, go to the ENT website at za for a list of ENT's, and find one specializing in Head and Neck. It may be that your problem is nothing to worry about, but I suggest you seek an opinion to set your mind at ease.