Question
Posted by: SJ | 2008/08/21

Swollen gland

Dear Dr Breedt
I would like to know if there is anything I can do to make a swollen gland in my groin area less painfull. I have been struggling with a bacterial infection in a spider bite and after 2 courses of antibiotics, this seems to be under control (finished the last course 2 weeks ago). I spent 2 weeks as quietly as possible in airconditioning, but have since the 16th returned back to work. By the 18th the gland swole up and has been swollen since. I have a very active job and spend a lot of time walking around. Is there anything I can do that will either bring the swelling down or anything I could take. I have only Anadins or Myprodils with me and can' t get to a doctor untill some time next week. I am taking multi vitamins and drinking plenty of fluids.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Hi SJ
Is the infection cleared up 100%? The gland should go down with the healing of the infection. Try some Voltaren jel over the area. If the area over the gland is red or warm you may be developing an abcess in the gland and then you do need to see your doctor as soon as possible.

1
Posted by: SJ | 2008/08/21

Dear Dr Breedt
Just to add that I have just noticed what looks like red bruising on the skin above the swollen gland.
Kind regards
SJ

Reply to SJ