Question

Swollen Foot

Hi Doc,

I' m a 27 year old female  1.54m tall and weigh 55kg' s. My right foot is prone to swelling (especially in summer).

I tore the ligaments in my right ankle when I was 16, and ever since then, my right ankle is thicker than the left, and it swells up in summer. It also swells if I sit or stand for a long period of time. (only the right ankle, and not the left).

Whenever I fly, my right ankle swells up, and not the left.

Is there a reason why my ankle swells to quickly? Does it have anything to do with me tearing the ligaments? And is there anything I can do about it?

Thanks!

Dear Anon
You may have injured the blood or lymph supply to the ankle and I doubt if you will be able to do anything drastic about this now. Wearing flight socks when you fly will help prevent the swelling. You could see a vascular surgeon for tests to determine the cause and discuss possible treatment options.