Question
Posted by: Angelina | 2011/11/15

swollen fingers

Hi Dr Ross,

Why do my fingers swell up after a jog? I have noticed that after I do excersise, like brisk walking or jogging, my fingers swell up a bit. I have only noticed this because when I get back home and I go for a shower, I usually take my rings off, and have noticed that they come off more difficultly than usual. They should be coming off pretty easy as they are loose on my fingers in general after having lost alot of weight since getting them.

A J

Hi Angelina

Because when we exercise, we send blood to different areas of the body as it is needed there. The result is that our extremities swell up a little. It's not serious at all, it's just a consequence of sending blood to the muscle, and then seeing it return there after exercise. You have all kinds of shifts in fluid from one area to the next during running, aimed at improving your ability to exercise, and the extremities swell as a result.

It takes a few hours after and things get back to normal!

Ross

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2011/11/27

Hi Angelina

Ross

Reply to fitnessdoc