Question
Posted by: Shelby | 2010/10/25

Swollen Eye and headaches

Hi there,

I wrote to you a few months ago about my maid who complained of a pain in the right hand side of her head and then arrived at work one day with a swollen shut right eye.

She went to the government hospital and had " photos"  taken and came out with paracetamol tablets and was told it was just headaches.

I dismissed her as she was caring for my baby and I was worried that she may collapse with him on her back, whilst I was out, or have a similar type of accident.

By the above description, could you perhaps tell me what is wrong with her? Did I over-react by dismissing her, could she get better from this?

Thank you for your time.

Expert ImageHeadache expert

Dear Shelby,

Sometimes patients with headaches do develop swelling of the eyelids, but it goes away when the headache subsides. If this is what was happening then you most certainly over-reacted, as there is no reason for a person to collapse when they have a headache or migraine. If the swelling persisted, then there was another unknown problem that I cannot comment on.

1
Posted by: Headache expert | 2010/10/25

Dear Shelby,

Reply to Headache expert