Posted by: ML | 2011-12-13

Swollen ankles

Good day Doc

A while ago I went to by GP complaining about frequent urination and what felt like pain in my kidneys. She tested my urine and found that I had an infection. She did send me for a Glucose Tolerance Test (2 hour), of which the result was 5.1.

I am also on hypertension medication Pharmapress Co 20mg once a day.

Now my ankles are swelling again as well as my left foot. I also started experiencing a warm sensation (like a hotflush) underneath my left foot. I went to the GP again (one of the partners). When he took my BP, it was 110/70 and he mentioned that it was a bit on the low side. He gave me Ridaq a so-called " water pill"  and an anti-inflammatory for my foot. He also said that if it doesn''t get better, he might increase the dosage of my hypertension tablet.

What is worrying me, is that it feels as if only my symptoms are treated and not the cause? And how can increasing my BP meds help if my BP was low? I am worried that this swelling can be linked to my kidneys.

You should reconsult your doctor for kidney function tests and a heart test to exclude the possibility of slight heart failure. Treatment with a diuretic is advisable but the cause has to be identified.