Posted by: Anon | 2009-07-28

swollen ankle

Hi Dr - I have been battling for over 3 years now with my left ankle. Every 2 -3 months it swells up and is very painful. I have had Xrays and blood tests (the Dr wanted to check for gout) but everything is normal.

I am at my wits end as we cant seem to find out what it is. Is it possible it could be arthritis as there is a family history. If I walk a lot a(eg around a mall) then it becomes more painful

Will an ankle guard help as I do yoga and it is very painful to stand at times

I am a 42 yr old female

Hallo Anon
It could be an arthritis - have your doctor checked for inflammatory conditions like SLE or Rheumatoid arthritis too? An ankle guard and anti-inflammatory medication would help during an upflare.