Question
Posted by: Barbie | 2010-11-03

SWOLEN ABDOMEN

Hi Doc,

I''m a 34 year old female and recently I have noticed that my stomach is abnormally swolen. My GP checked my thyroid and found nothing amiss. Besides my swolen tummy, my weight remains stable. Earier in the year, I had a laprascoptic procedure done to remove a sist from my womb. Currently, I do not experience any pain.

I have tried many remedies, i.e. herbal tea to loose weight, but to no avail. To be honest, I am not fat, it is only this huge protruding tummy that I cannot get rid of!

At this end, I feel extremely concious about my figure as I constantly have to answer if I am pregnant.

What could be the root of the trouble, my husband and I dont know where else to turn for help.Could it be a spastic colon?

How can I determine what is wrong? I am too self concious to get into a bikini and long for the body that I once had.

Please could you assist?

Hallo Barbie
A swollen tummy could be caused by internal fat (in people who have the "apple" shape), or fluid (due to liver conditions), due to growths (like a big ovarian cyst or uterus growth), or due to bloated colon (like in spastic colon). YOur GP needs to examine you to see whether you need referral for further tests like a sonar of the abdomen, blood for liver and kidney function, referral to a gastroenterologist.

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2010-11-04

Hallo Barbie