Question
Posted by: FA | 2008/07/01

Switching to a Bridge

I've had my front 4 upper teeth extracted and I now have a metal plate in, with which I'm not entirely satisfied with.

I intend to get a bridge to fill the gap. What are the disadvantages to having a bridge and what would the costs approximately be??

Expert ImageProsthodontist

Hi, I can understand your concerns around your metal plate. The disadvantage of the bridge is that the adjacent teeth (eye-teeth) would need to be crowned and that these 2 teeth would then carry the forces of 6 teeth. I would recommend that you also investigate the option of having two implants placed, with a bridge (4 teeth) on top of the implants. The relevant costs can then be obtained from your dentist or prosthodontist. Should you require the contact details of a dentist of prosthodontist near you please contact the South African Dental Association on 011 – 484 5288.

Kind regards.