Posted by: cc | 2009-08-21

Swine flu

My 7 year old usually very healthy daughter started with temp and headache during night sun. I had a dr appt for something else and took her along as by mon am she was coughing, feeling sick, and generally flu-like. The gp said that due to the panic on that there was little point sending her bloods off as she wasnt in the high risk catergory if it was swine flu and by time bloods are back due to huge overload that the worst would be over. He check her over said red in throat (but she not complained of sore throat) and red ears. He prescribed pencillin antibiotics. She has been taking the antib' s but is still very flu-ish - headachy, blocked nose, running nose and coughing. If she did indeed have sf would a dose of amoxil have done the job to clear it ? I have kept her home all week but wondered if she should still have these symptons as it now friday.

I suggest that you re-consult the GP and ask him to do a throat swab and if necessary a H1N1 test. If she has a very high fever, i.e. 38.7 and higher, it can be beneficial to test her. She is not high risk and therefore, I suggest strict bed rest and fluids for another 7 days.

Posted by: B | 2009-08-21

I would ask for a second opinion or Tamiflu as a precaution. My dr always says that you have to see a sginificant improvement after 48h (defin no more fever) of taking an antibiotic.

Hope she feels better soon

Reply to B