Posted by: Concerned | 2009-08-20

swine flu

Hi Cyberdoc,
The swine flu pandemic is quite scary and I am sure it is making lots of people paranoid, and its starting to make me a bit worried as well. I am 10 weeks pregnant (2 deaths have been pregnant women in SA) and am worried about the impact of swine flu should I catch it. I have had the usual flu vaccine earlier this year. Do you think its necessary that I get a swine flu vaccine? I am 33 yrs old.

Dear Concerned
Unfortunately there is no swine flu vaccine available yet - you should take the normal precautions of staying away from sick people, regular hand washing ( especially after going to the shops and touching doors and trolleys etc!) , and going to the doctor early if you should get flu symptoms.