Posted by: LES | 2008-12-11

swimming times

I am in my mid forties, female and would like some advice on swimming. If I swam 250m what would be considered a good time to strive for. And likewise for a mile (1500m).

I am wanting to set some targets to relieve the boredom of just going up and down a pool for 40 minutes. My reason for swimming is flexibility and some fitness. I am not interested in compitition. Thanks

Hi Les

For a 1500m (it's easier to conceptualise), a decent time would be anything between 25 and 30 minutes. in fact, that would be quite good. Note that a mile is actually 1609 m, not 1500, and so if you are thinking of doing a mile race, then a decent time is a little longer, maybe 30 to 35 minutes.

For the shorter distance, youc an obviously go a little faster, and 250m might take about 4 minutes. Just to give you a comparison, the world's best swimmers do 200m in just under 2 minutes (women, that is. Men are at 1:40). Obviously, that's not a comparison that 99% of us would ever care about, but it's always nice to have a frame of reference.

My advice is to try out your 250m time, see what it is, and then break your 40 minute swim down into lengths where you alternate swimming slowly (maybe focus on technique) with lengths where you pick it up and try to swim close to that time. Obviously, you won't swim that time exactly, but maybe 10% slower. So for example, if you can do 250m in 4 minutes, then you might consider doing 250m in 4:30 in training. That's fast, but not so fast that you are pushing 100%.

But don't get too hung up on that kind of time - see what you are capable of, and then take it from there. Don't compare it to other people's times.