Question
Posted by: Annelise | 2010-09-22

Swimming &  aerobics for weightloss

I am interested in taking up swimming as an exercise and eve nthough it seems great for fitness, it seems that it''s not the best exercise for weight loss. According to merck.com " If weight loss is one of the main goals of exercise, however, swimming is not the best choice. Exercise out of water is more effective because air insulates the body, increasing body temperature and metabolism for up to 18 hours. This process expends extra calories after exercise as well as during exercise. In contrast, water conducts heat away from the body, so that body temperature does not rise and metabolism does not remain increased after swimming"  but i was wondering, if you do aerobic exercise, taebo or jogging for example, and then jump in the pool too cool down as well as to swim a few laps for exercise, does this have the same effect or would you then continue to burn calories even after swimming as you already raised your body''s temp with the jogging etc? Or should one perhaps wait to cool down before taking the " plunge" ?

HI Annelise

It's true that swimming is less effective than say running or cycling. It's not for that reason though - the temperature is irrelevant. The main reason swimming is less effective is that you aren't weight bearing, and so the energy use during the say 30 minutes is lower. You can play around with the burn-o-meter on the diet page and see what I mean.

So to answer your question, cooling after exercise does nothing to weight loss. That increased energy use they talk about after exercise is finished is not about temperature, it's about restoring the body to its pre-exercise state, and so it doesn't matter whether you're cooler or not.

2
Posted by: Linda | 2010-10-20

What about the resistance of the water - I " run"  for 45 min in the water against my own " slipstream"  and have found it very " rewarding"  in regards to weight loss.

Reply to Linda
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2010-09-28

HI Annelise

Reply to fitnessdoc